Friday, October 30, 2009

Update From Laura Ferrel

                                                                                                                              October-November 2009
 
Greetings from Nanyuki, Kenya!
 
Prayers are being answered on a daily basis. Thank you for your supplications for rain for this country. Almost daily the rain has come and it isn’t the damaging kind.  We had to wade through the tall wet grass to hang our laundry. Yesterday out gatekeeper used a machete, cut the grass and carried off a bushel bag of cuttings to feed the cattle.
 
School here at Mt Kenya is almost complete for 2009 and the Standard 8 students who are preparing for their monumental tests. These determine which schools they can attend and what will be their futures. This presents terrific pressure in their young lives. They need prayer!
 
Visiting Uganda was a wonderful experience for me as I taught the women of “Open Door Baptist Church” and then the Pastor’s wives at the fellowship meeting in Mbarara. Russ and Sylvia Daniels have done an incredible job in establishing and building a 2 story church which houses the church and school. They just completed a new edifice for 23 orphans. The national pastor, Pastor Naoboth has full charge of all these ministries.
 
Please allow me to introduce two Ugandans who touched my life:
Judith Kakayi, a 23 year old mother of two young boys, recounted this story: Several years ago at a family picnic the LRA (Lords Resistance Army) from the north arrived!  Each person fled for his life. Judith’s mom, Kettey remembered her 3 year old son asleep in the house. She ran to get Okello and as she fled with the youngster under her arm an LRA yanked him from her. He grabbed her son by one foot and swung him around in a circle over his head.  He then bashed his head against the wall. The child’s brains gushed out. The mother was pleading with the man for her son’s life.  He took a machete and slashed her to death. Judith saw these horrific murders!  I am so glad my Lord has spared me from such atrocities.  Judith is a precious believer and has a lovely spirit, but this event has scarred her life.
Thursday morning before my leaving Entebbe, Uganda, Judith came running with the report that Patrick’s 9 month old baby had died in the night. Every one of the workers and Russ hastily dressed to go visit and comfort Patrick.  Just as the group was ready to leave the compound for the visit, Patrick arrived at the Daniel’s. For almost 2 years prayers had been offered for Patrick’s salvation. In fact, just the prior Saturday, Russ had reemphasized his need of Christ through Scripture. He again refused as he said he couldn’t give up drinking and smoking. Sadly now with tears streaming down his face and a broken heart he intently listened to the message from the Bible. Gently Russ reviewed the plan of salvation and the story of King David’s loss of his baby. David said, “I can go to the child.” Patrick bowed his knee to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and became a child of the King!  As he left the premises the last words from his mouth were, “I must share this with my wife, so we both can see our baby girl again!”
 
Revelation 3:8, “I know thy works: behold, I have set before thee an open door, and no man can shut it: for thou hast a little strength, and hast kept my word, and hast not denied my name.” God has opened a church door in the town of Nyaharuru west of Nanyuki for the month of November. I am to instruct all the teachers in preparation and presentation of Sunday school lessons. It is a huge responsibility, but God is giving me ideas and with Him I can do all things. Could you please intensify your prayers for me?
 
For several years I have requested prayer for my sister, Eileen Foster, She has multiple myeloma, and has endured ongoing treatment for this bone marrow cancer. Finally, she is undergoing new chemotherapy which is working! The numbers are so significantly lower that she shows no sign of cancer now. Thank you for your prayers!
Speaking of prayers, I have received many encouraging messages concerning your prayers for me, my supporters! Your messages and financial support is my lifeline! I need you and your concern! Just when I need it most you bless me with a message of love and hope. Blessings on you precious ones!
 
In His watch care,
Laura Nell Ferrell, Kenya

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers